Wednesday, December 9, 2009

all you ever need is within you












I got the chance to meet up with Canadian snowboarder Arthur Sapounas who was winding down with a yoga class at Moksha after a long day in the pipe. He's competing in the half-pipe event on February 16th with fellow teammate, Ziggi Moore. Decked out in red and white he has Canadian pride written all over him with a motto of "all you ever need in within you."

When asked what he's anticipating heading into the event, he answered, "I'm excited to represent Canada with the home team advantage! I have the entire country behind me and a one up through the incredible support of my peers."

G:What does your training look like at this stage of the game?
A: It looks the same as it always has. Perfect practice makes perfect. I ride the pipe from dusk to dawn and wind down with a yoga class at the end of the day. I'm livin' the dream with this lifestyle.

G: How long have you trained for this event?
A: Basically my entire life. I started snowboarding at age seven in Kitchener, Ontario. There's a bite sized ski hill called Chicopee. I moved out to Van[couver] in 2002. I thought it was to study Political Science at UBC but instead I was graduating from hills to mountains and my snowboarding career started taking off.

G: What is your goal for this event?
A: My first goal was to be in the event, and now that I'm in it, I'm in it to win it. (laughs). No big deal right?

G: Who has been your biggest influence in your athletic career?
A: Honestly, my mother. She has always supported me by encouraging me to follow my heart and dreams.

G: What does it mean to be an elite ambassador for lululemon athletica?
A: I thank lululemon daily for providing me with complimentary yoga classes. They keep me limber and on top of my game in the pipe. Also, lululemon is keeping me lodged at their home in Whistler so I can focus on training instead of traveling from Vancouver to Whistler on a daily basis like I used to. They've also supported me through goal-coaching. Can I add in a little product blurb?
G: Of course!
A: I love their RIP-T stuff. It's made with luxtreme, their quickest wicking fabric that acts as a compression piece. It keeps me dry under my gear but best of all...it's stink proof in the pits from a coated fabric called circle mesh. Amazing eh?
G: I guess asking you what you train in is no longer necessary!
A: (laughs).

G: Do you have any favourite quotes you live by?
A: At the moment, "visualize success and it will be yours."

No comments:

Post a Comment